REFLECTOR: Fuel Consumption Performance

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Thu Aug 13 15:54:53 CDT 2009

Laurence Coen wrote:
> I also use a gascolator but have never found any contamination in it.
> On the other hand the drain on the bottom of my center sump always
> produces junk.  When the fuel supply line runs dry there is still
> about a quart of fuel remaining in the sump and this seems to be where
> the junk collects and never gets to the rest of the fuel system.  My
> engine is carbureted so there is no fuel return to the sump and this
> allows stuff to settle out.  I'm just guessing about the settling but
> the fact remains that junk doesn't even get as far as the gascolator.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC

My plane doesn't have a gascolator and I imagine that it's for the very
reason you described.  The sump/drain acts as a gascolator itself.
Since the drain is at the bottom of the sump and the avgas is sucked out
at a level of at least 1/4" or so above the drain, then the sediment
settles at the bottom and won't make it into your engine.

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD FG