REFLECTOR: Batteries & Fuel Shut-Off valve

Fred W. Anderka fred at holohil.com
Tue Aug 11 14:48:50 CDT 2009

Due to the light nose of my XLRG I decided to use the Red Top OPTIMA
battery.  This unit has a capacity of 50 AHr and 1000 Amp 32F cranking
amperage and weighs 39 lbs.  It has a convenient flange on the bottom with 4
holes in it.  Two aluminum brackets with nut plates make a secure attachment
to the standard battery tray.  Bit of a chore to get the battery out,
especially the 2 bolts next to the fuselage.  Ratchet wrenches help.

C-GHOL is all electric with a BNC alternator in the accessory drive pad.
The backup battery is an Odyssey, PC310 at 6 lbs. It has a capacity of 8
AHr.  That battery is located on top of the canard at the right side above
the attachment lug.  Being close to the attachment lug reduces the vibration
transferred to the battery when the canard flexes.

I located a ball valve close to the floor between the exit from the sump and
the firewall bulkhead fitting.  It is operated by a push/pull cable that
runs in the left side oil line duct and the knob end is mounted under the
left side of the panel.

Running fuel lines back and forth from the main strake tanks to a selector
valve and back to the sump tank can introduce all sorts of restrictions and
potential restricted fuel flow when you need it most during take off.  One
solution is to go with larger 1/2" fuel lines and corresponding valve.  If
the lines are in the keel you have to consider servicing, particularly in an
RG.

To help in any fuel related servicing, a ball valve is installed near the
supply fitting at each strake and safety wired open.  This way you only have
to drain the 4 gallons from the sump tank.

Fred W. Anderka
C-GHOL