REFLECTOR: XLs without nose oil coolers?

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Sun Aug 2 14:29:17 CDT 2009

Brett,

We're flying our turbo IO-550N with a forward oil cooler and getting around
200 degree oil temps at cruise at 18kft -- we re-circulate our cabin air
through the forward oil cooler and appreciate having the heat anytime we get
above 10 kft.  Standard system seems to work well for us.

One concern is our relatively low oil pressure (30 psi cruising, despite
70-80 psi on startup).  We had to raise the oil pressure quite a bit early
on in order to get good flow through our extra turbocharger plumbing, as
well as up front to the oil cooler.  Things seem to be pretty well balanced,
but I would like to see a little higher cruise oil pressure -- we've almost
got the pressure screw all the way up now.

Anyone else with a similar configuration getting similar or better pressure?

Bob Jackson
N2XF TXL/RG

PS  Thanks Brett (Elizabeth, Matt and Teresa) for hosting both the Tuesday
and Wednesday (Velocity) night dinners at Oshkosh -- you did a great job and
everyone really enjoyed the food and the 'hangar talk'.  Only Matt's stories
were a little hard to believe, but we loved his videos!