REFLECTOR: nitrogen in tires...

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Thu Apr 30 09:56:07 CDT 2009

Hi Al,

I agree with you that the O2 molecule is actually bit larger than the N2,
but the leak rate through the tire (if that could be counted at all) can be
different for different gasses- if you inflate a latex party balloon (very
thin membrane I know) with helium, (a significantly smaller molecule than
Nitrogen) it will leak out at about 10x the rate of an air inflated balloon-
they will only stay inflated for only about 2 days or so - I know this not
an apples to apples example, but it does demonstrate the effect.

  _____