REFLECTOR: Ivo

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Apr 28 09:44:13 CDT 2009

Guess it's time for someone who has experience using the IVO to comment....  Yes, it's very important to check the bolt torque hourly for the first 5 hours and until it becomes stable.  When you first mount the blades, the torque will get loose with the plane just sitting overnight.  After 20 hours or so the torque holds well, and you pretty much can forget about it, but in spite of almost 500 hours with no problems, I still check it once in a while.  When I bought my plane, different blades had been installed and the torque checking frequency was not well explained to me.  After 2 hours of test flying (and tightening), I flew 4.5 hours to home.  Upon arrival, all 3 tapes were broken (it was aluminum tape, which is the wrong tape as it gives a false positive indication) and all bolts had about 1/2 turn of looseness.  I hadn't felt any vibration and there was no damage around the bolt holes which is where any damage would be.  The builder of my plane had changed out the 6" crush plate for a 7" one.  Im sure that must help in securing the blades.

As far as 4 cyl Lycomings are concerned, I recall posts that state that if the engine is unbalanced, then MT should not be used either.

I believe anyone with experince with the IVO could safely test, or oversee a test, on a Lycoming.  Or maybe we just need more data from the Lycoming(s) using the IVO.  However, I think IVO would be unwilling to sell to any engine off their approved list.  The last time I spoke with them, I got the impression that the owner(s) were focused on other endeavors, so perhaps they might want to sell to someone who was willing to expand the envelope.

The IVO is a great prop and I wouldn't consider anything else.

John