REFLECTOR: Running without prop

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Mon Apr 27 22:17:59 CDT 2009

Brian Michalk wrote:
> Okay, I'll jump in here...
>
> What I wonder, is if one took the rotational inertia of the MT, and
> duplicated it by adding a plate to the IVO to increase the rotational
> inertia, would the IVO still fail?  There's no question that the
> pulses on the IO360 are larger than on the Franklin.  Maybe increasing
> the inertia of the system could reduce the negative torque pulses?
Just thinking aloud here and from my experience with automobile
engines.  Would a device similar to the harmonic balancer on an auto
engine work?  As I remember, it is essentially a fairly massive iron
ring with some kind of rubber sandwich between it and the hub.  I think
the rubber absorbs some of the harmonics.

Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD FG
N83DP