REFLECTOR: Running without prop

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 07:12:23 CDT 2009

The engines need the mass of either a flywheel in the case of an automotive
or a prop in the case of an aircraft engine to operate- the crankshaft does
not have enough inertia to allow the engine to continue rotating and
overcome the internal friction of the pistons- to put the pistons
over-center both from sliding friction, and compression friction. The
compression comes from the flywheel moving the pistons around, and the
flywheel gets it's energy from the power of the pistons- and thankfully
there is plenty of extra power to do useful work. sounds redundant, but it
is a matter of timing otherwise you would need a piston on power stroke at
the exact same moment that a piston is on compression stroke- the flywheel
banks the power for a short time to allow the engine to turn smoothly.
Flywheels on even small diesel engines are very heavy because of the
required forces involved. Some mowers might still run (poorly) without the
blade, because it still has the flywheel on the top, but the small ring gear
that engages the starter on the aircraft engine does not have enough mass to
allow the engine to run properly- and you will risk having the pistons
detonate at TDC if you try to run like that.