REFLECTOR: New Member Intro

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Apr 22 09:19:09 CDT 2009

I always get confirmation from each person who requests to be added to
the list.  From the main web page:

To join the Reflector mailing list, click on the button below.
Please note the mailing list is open to Velocity airplane builders,
co-owners, factory affiliates, or other people demonstrating a value
to the Velocity community.

If you are a new subscriber, please include your kit serial number
with your request, or justification for membership:

John said he had a prop on hand that was not delivered to a customer.
That, in my opinion is a demonstrated value to the Velocity community,
since that prop is ubiquitous on our planes.

This is not the end of the world.  I have moderation authority, and can
remove John just as easily as I added him.  If he or anyone on the list
abuses the privileges of the list, then they are censored as fast as I
can respond.

There are a few non-velocity owners here.  Some prospective buyers that
I will allow if they've bought the marketing pack, or had a factory
ride.  They have to show some level of commitment.  There are also a
handful of vendors well known in the canard community.  They've been
members for years, and have never been a problem.  I make it clear to
these people that my granting them access to the list is a privilege and
they should not abuse it.

I feel that the message sent with this approach is healthy in that it
promotes our aircraft as part of a viable community that should not be
ignored while reminding them that this is our sandbox, and they should
not act like so many cats crapping in our play area.