REFLECTOR: wheel pants

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 01:22:08 CDT 2009

I tried my old style wheel pants for the first time last week, and I didn't
think they made the plane go any faster. So I tried an experiment. I flew
with one pant on and one pant off to see if the ball would move off center.
It did. The ball was still between the two lines, but it was up against one
line instead of being dead center. The wheel without the pant was dragging
more than the wheel with the pant.

But they are really a pain to get on and off, so I'm not going to use them.
I'm going to design a fairing that fits behind the wheel and see how much
that helps. I like the idea that I can see the tires and the brakes, and the
rotor will stay very cool.

I think Danny Maher designed the old style in the shape of an airfoil so
that they would generate lift.

Doug Holub
Standard FG w/ electric nose lift