REFLECTOR: Sans Turbo

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Apr 21 20:43:24 CDT 2009

Well I have decided to finish this engine upgrade without the turbo.

After removing the engine last week to fix a pesky oil leak in the oil
pump that showed up after about 4 hours of run time(go figure).  I also
just had to redo some of the intake tubes that I never liked, since I
had the engine off.....  I got the engine reinstalled today without the
turbo.

Everything else is still somewhat installed, wastegate, controller,
intercooler, oil lines, etc....  I removed the ducting from the
intercooler so the engine is breathing normally.

As the local A&P/IA told me, it ran just fine.  It was running very
rich, since it didn't have to pump the air through the intercooler, but
sounded good and ran up fine with just a tad of leaning of the
mixture.   Using the prop made for 325 HP the WOT static rpm was
pathetic!  As expected.

I talked to Catto, and he will re-pitch the prop for 275 HP,  you get
one free repitch as part of the purchase price of any of his props.  I
have to make a box and ship it back for the mod in asap.

Clinton at Custom Aircraft Parts is fabricating a new exhaust.  This is
his first for a continental 470/520/550 install in a Velocity, so he
will build a jig for any further orders.  They are $725, for a 3-into-1,
both sides.  If you look on his web site you will see one for the IO540
on an XL, which is the same style I'm having made.

I will save all the pieces of the turbo install and re-evaluate after
its flying with just an IO520.

It certainly won't be as fast, but 275 HP in a STD RG, should get up and
move.  It was no slouch in cruise with the IO360 I had in it, it just
used way to much runway up at 6500 ft.  It will be considerably more
fuel efficient non-turbo'd below  14/15K.  I'm not sure where in
altitude the cross over happens where a TSIO starts to outperform an IO
engine in fuel burn.

Sorry to all the hot rodders that were looking forward to a blazingly
fast STD V.  My local A&P is not a happy camper!

Scott