REFLECTOR: To Turbo or Not

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Apr 18 17:06:20 CDT 2009

Jeff Barnes wrote:
>     High DA GW takeoffs: More is better, period.  The IO-540 300hp
> guys who have flown 260hp's is high DA will tell you the 300hp is way
> better. You only have to overrun an airstrip a few feet to hit a
> drainage ditch, runway lights, etc.

Can't argue there.  During takeoff more is always better.
>    Another Duane Swing point: You can throttle back a 300hp to match
> the 260hp's best cruise: you'll get the same fuel economy.  I'm
> thinking other than full-on takeoffs & climb,
> if you slow your superHP tsio-520 down to 170kts, you should be
> getting really good fuel economy as well.

Comparing IO to TSIO is not really equal.  The turbo system on a TSIO520
uses 25 HP for overhead. So throttling back to same IAS at the same
altitude would require more fuel in the TSIO engine.  At least a gallon
an hour, maybe more.
>    If you build it out and it's a good runner, then change your mind
> as to whether it's right for your airplane - I'd think the higher HP
> would have much better resale value.

Really?  I'm gonna have to think about that..

thanks,

Scott