REFLECTOR: Bad running Franklin

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 18 12:43:01 CDT 2009

Jerry,

I don't understand your first question.  The tool for checking valve rocker arm clearance is a spring loaded device that holds pressure against the rocker arm causing the lifter to slowly bleed down.  It is working against a small spring in the lifter that doesn't require much force to compress.  Bleed down time is a function of oil temperature and the health of the lifter.  A screw driver blade between the valve spring and the rocker arm plus steady pressure will do it.  The clearance is 0.040" cold by feeler gauge between the valve stem and the rocker arm.

Larry Coen
N136LC