REFLECTOR: To Turbo or Not

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Apr 18 09:10:44 CDT 2009

Kurt,

    I am close, but I'm also at a point where it is relatively easy to
go either way, but changing after this point will get progressively
harder and harder.
    I think a dual system may happen at first, where 100LL is available
along side a lower octane alternative, but 100LL will get very expensive
very fast. We are such a minuscule portion of he fuel industry,  it
wouldn't take much to push the few refineries that mix av gas to change
over to a no lead product.  I think this is right around the corner.
    I am getting more and more concerned with weight.  Maybe I should
slap the wings back on and do a quick weigh to let me know where I
stand. Much easier to make a decision on facts than fears.
    I'm also concerned about the longevity of this tsio520.   I've been
flying behind two of these engines for about 3 years now.  They are
solid and reliable, but,  pushing them with high MAPs  seems to find any
flaw and exacerbate it rapidly.  I've seen some cylinders go 1800-2000
hours and still be performing well, and I've seen others not make 200
hours...

    I do hear your voice concerning the pitfall of changing course in
midstream.....

Scott