REFLECTOR: Top exhaust systems

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 14:13:05 CDT 2009

You are saying that you converted an up draft engine to down draft, was your engine originally designed for down draft cooling? Is you exhaust system exit the top of your cylinders or the bottom? My engine is designed for up draft cooling and top exhaust and I am installing the arm pit scoops and the NACA scoops. I intend to use the NACA scoops for engine air intake and second oil cooler if needed. I still haven't decided on my exhaust design and am curious as to how others that have top exhaust systems did their system. I am considering the exhaust exiting the six exhaust pipes straight up, or I could do a three to one aft and exhaust through the prop. My problem with this is that with a three blade prop you can't clock you prop in such a way that at least one of the blades will be in the exhaust. Vari-eze fliers have done this for years without any ill affects or at least I have been told there weren't any ill effects. Does anyone have a different
 take on the issue. I also have the option of going out each side of the cowling like a P51, the problem is getting the top cowling on and off of this configuration. The third option is a three to one routing forward and then down to exit the bottom of the cowling. I like this one the least because of the long run of hot exhaust pipes routing from top to bottom inside the cowling. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Andy Ellzey