REFLECTOR: VGs

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 15 11:36:25 CDT 2009

I just installed the Stolspeed VGs via the Velocity Factory templates.
Flew this morning to test but we had a low ceiling and I couldn't get up
high enough to do a stall series. However, first impression was not
good. At the same power setting I generally use there was a 7 knot
decrease in airspeed. Takeoff broke ground 3 knots lower and my approach
speed was 4 knots slower. This seems to be way off of other folks
experiences. Some possible issues I see:
1) the Stolspeed VGs are more streamlined than the factory VGs but they
are also about 1/3rd taller
2) the canard is just way too busy with VGs-having 32 of them on a
fairly small surface--additionally they appear too far forward.
The canard VGs have me baffled. Why are they needed at all?? Don't I
want the canard to stall first anyway? Looks like way too much drag for
minimal gain as far as the canard is concerned. Tom