REFLECTOR: Bad running Franklin

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:32:50 CDT 2009

Jerry,

The alignment of the camshaft gear and the crankshaft gear is simple and straightforward so I would think that it is unlikely they are off a tooth.  I don't know the history of your engine and just how far apart it has been since new. If the crankshaft and or the camshaft gears have been replaced there would be the possibility that a gear was reinstalled without the woodruff key in place.  The bad news is that to find out would require major surgery.

I had a couple of more ideas that would simple to check.  These bright ideas are a function of not knowing how your fuel system is plumbed up.  Your symptoms match what happens when a hand primer pump isn't properly secured allowing fuel to be drawn into the manifold through the primer lines.  I use a solenoid valve and pressure from the electric pump to prime the engine.  If it is installed backwards or stuck open,  flooding can occur.  The original fuel pump was a diaphragm pump and if the electric pump was plumbed in series and ahead of the engine pump it would work OK.   Switching to the new positive displacement pump would cause the pressure to be the sum of the two or 12+ psi and that could overwhelm the float valve in the carb and also cause flooding.

Simple ideas and I have the mind for it.

Larry Coen
N136LC