REFLECTOR: Transponder and Radio issues

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 11 09:54:50 CDT 2009

> This past week on my return fllight from Corpus Christi to MS, I was told
> by 3 ATCs that they weren't receiving my mode C.  One received it briefly.
> Also I was told that my radio was weak.  I receive transmissions fine, but
> have noticed when transmitting that the volume in my headset is very loud
> and distorted.  My plane is 10 years old with 670 hours.  Is this
> something to get repaired, or is it tme for new equipment?
>
> John
Ten years use should not dictate the end-of-life for well designed and built
electronics.  You have mentioned two problems that are likely not related
(except perhaps by some 12 Volt power buss problem).

I would suggest that you tackle them one-at-a-time, get a reliable diagnosis
and only then decide whether to repair or replace.

Sid