REFLECTOR: Fw: Fuel Filters

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Apr 8 09:48:50 CDT 2009

My setup has unfiltered straight runs from wing tanks into the sump and
used to have a clear glass cleanable filter right after the sump outlet.

I never liked the cheapo glass housed filter.  It was not very large and
I was always worried I would buy a tank of gas with junk in it and it
would clog cause it had so little surface area. It never did, and never
leaked.

I did accumulate some  crud in the sump, mostly fiberglass fibers, and
once about a pint of water.  The fibers would plug up the sump drain.
It was actually easy to clean, just pull the sump drain and all the crud
would flush out immediately.  I had to do this 3 times, then it stopped
accumulating.

I increased the size of my fuel lines to the fire wall because of my
increased fuel flow demand and changed to an automotive filter.

http://www.amazon.com/FRAM-HPG1-High-Performance-Filter/dp/B000CBSFSQ

Its rated at 90 GPH which I'll never get close too, and has an integral
bypass valve if the filter becomes blocked.  It is heavy which is a
drawback, the steel filter housing is rated to 200 psi so you can mount
it after the injector fuel pump.  I replaced the heavy steel mounting
bracket with a much lighter home rolled fiberglass bracket.

Scott