REFLECTOR: VGs - Cruise improvements ?

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 8 09:02:40 CDT 2009

I guess that premise is possible but I've generally found it to be a
more a product of CG than weight. Aft CG seems to produce faster
indicated speeds than  Forward CG.  One thing easy to notice in flight
is the position of the elevator on the canard.  With only one pilot up
front (aft CG) the trailing edge is pointing up around 7 to 10 degrees.
It's fairly flat with 2 up front and forward CG. If you think about the
Maules, they achieved about 5 extra knots by having the flaps up past
center by 7 degrees. Maybe we've got something similar going on since
the canard is a lifting surface also..Tom