REFLECTOR: Engine failure causes

Stockman, Bill bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
Mon Apr 6 12:38:23 CDT 2009

The key is, did you ever run the engine at full throttle (either in a
pop up) or with the nose raised on the ground to simulate the takeoff
angle?

I discovered on my plane (173FGE) that after raising the nose and
running the engine a while, I found some water and sediment stuff in the
fuel sample and filter.   Apparently raising the nose significantly let
it escape to the sump tank and to the engine.   Just a thought.

Bill Stockman, Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace

(937) 369-4799 cell
(937) 426-4300 work