REFLECTOR: ATC Question

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 3 16:52:30 CDT 2009

Jon,

Now there may be some obscure rule somewhere in the FAA paperwork (surprise surprise), but:

As far as I know, and my preference is that you use "Velocity"  I'll use my N-Number for example.

You can call with N11LW, then when they ask the type, you tell them a velocity "VELO/G" might help those that don't keep up with experimental types.

You can call with Experimental 11LW if you like. Or you can call with Velocity11LW.

Adding them together is just a waste of time and redundant. No need to say Velocity November 11LW or some such nonsense.

As for calls after the "initial call", you can shorten the call sign to November, Type, or experimental then the last 3 digits of your call sign.

Keep in mind that each time you call a different sector (a new frequency), you are supposed to call on and say your altitude... If you don't, we have to ask you.

Hope that helps.

Kurt