REFLECTOR: Another VG question

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 23:36:34 CDT 2009

"HXA" stands for an experimental aircraft with a cruise speed of 100 knots or less.
"HXB" is for experimental aircraft with a cruise speed of greater than 100 knots up to and including 200 Knots.
"HXC" is for experimental aircraft with a cruise speed of greater than 200 knots.

According to FAA order 7340.1, these designators should be used when the FAA has not identified a permanent designator (Such as VELO).

If the AOPA site does not recognize "VELO" then they have not updated their FAA contractions manual. A simple phone call to them should take care of that. I do know that the ARTCC (En Route Centers) computers do recognize VELO.

Personally, I prefer when a pilot tells me what he is really flying. "HXB" leaves way too much room for variables, not to mention my own curiosity. I just have to ask :)

A couple other odd traits:? Approach and tracon computers default the aircraft equipment suffix to a /"T". That pisses me off, since not only are most experimentals at least /U or /A, but if you were actually flying a /T in approaches airspace, you would require a waiver (or at least a phone call). Good Ole FAA anti-logic.

So, if you check in for flight following, or file, tell them that you are a VELO/G or whatever fits. It makes for much more useful information.

Kurt

Albuquerque Center.