REFLECTOR: toe brakes

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 13:01:59 CDT 2008

I have been flying both types of brake systems.  I have been flying one, XL
N992PC, with the standard as we call them and the other with the toe brakes.
I have flown the standard with the Long EZ and the Cozy for over 15 yrs now
and the toe brakes for just over a year.  For myself I prefer the standard.
But of course I'm use to them. For those that have been flying conventional
aircraft with toe brakes, I'm sure would find them uncomfortable.
The reason I put the toe brakes on N32XL was because of a more sellable
aircraft for those that hadn't flown the standard pedals.
I find that with the toe brakes you have less command on the nose pivot and
no, as mine are set up, split rudder capability.  I my self like the
standard better.  I think the reason for the less authority on the nose
pivot stirring is because of the having to center the peddles or the feeling
to have to do it before actuation of the brake on either side.  But also in
defense of this, those that have installed the new Velocity brake foot
plates feel that it works much better.  I haven't tried this yet.  Yet to
do. Just my two cents
Dave