REFLECTOR: toe brakes

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Tue Sep 23 22:31:47 CDT 2008

I'm not trying to knock a good thing here but from my experience with
the standard brakes I think I'm going to stay with them.  I have found
that the Velocity is a lot more forgiving in crosswind landings than
other aircraft I've flown.  If the plane is not aligned exactly with the
centerline when you touch down it quickly aligns itself without much in
the way of side loading after both main wheels have touched down.
Additionally, I assume you will lose the ability to apply both rudders
simultaneously as a 'speed brake' or a way to lose a little extra
altitude if you're a bit high on final.  And, finally, if you are
slipping to make a crosswind landing, the rudder with the greatest
deflection is always the side that touches down last so by the time you
have one of the mains on the ground you'll already begin to relieve the
pressure on the opposite rudder before that side touches down.

Once again, I'm not knocking the toe brakes.  Just giving another point
of view.

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG