REFLECTOR: hole in the prop

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 14:59:34 CDT 2008

In a message dated 9/15/2008 12:53:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tomcat05 at comcast.net writes:

In a  message dated 9/13/2008 12:20:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
douglas.holub at gmail.com  <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
writes:

I was  going to varnish the wood, then thought  that maybe the bare wood
center hole is there to let moisture  out.

That is  exactly why it's not varnished.
TEC

Isn't that like drilling  a hole in the bottom of a boat to let the water
out?? Doesn't the bare wood  let the moisture IN??

The prop is hermetically sealed without it.  Any change is humidity,
barometric pressure, temperature could cause the laminations/wood to split  without
being "vented" (I have seen this happen).  Also, a wood  prop should not be
wrapped in anything that could cause a "green house" effect  as this could cause
the same problems.
TEC