REFLECTOR: 51% rule changes

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 15:27:32 CDT 2008

Hi Andy,following is what I submitted for information

Reference: Proposed Policy changes regarding Certification of Amateur‐Built Aircraft.

Dear Mr. Vasconcelos;

I am a private pilot and have held a SEL license for over 20 years, my Wife is also a private pilot for 19+ years; my background includes marine engineering and computer systems.  Over a period of 6 years I built a Velocity 173 fixed gear aircraft as a retirement project and spent 2 more years testing, tuning and adding additional comfort, safety & instrumentation

My primary concern is that the complexities of this new policy will place significant new burdens on amateur aircraft builders who are following the regulations today while not knowing the effects these significant policy changes will have on their work in the future. Plus, I don’t see how the proposed changes will address commercial building issues that caused the 51% policy to be revised. The following are my specific comments:

Enforce the existing regulation (FAR 21.191(g) and the FAA policies (FAA Order 8130.2). By doing this you will not be placing additional burdens on builders like me who are complying with the spirit and intent of the rules, or requirements. I would not know where the percent of fabrication and assembly start and end.  My experience would say the fuselage fabrication and assembly are only about 1/3 of the total task. Instrumentation, engine, wiring, plumbing, finishing ETC. are about 1/3.  The other 1/3 doesn’t get counted by the new percentages yet is essential to the construction process.  Where in fabrication and assembly do I put research, education, record keeping, invention of specialized tools, building jigs, templates choosing instrumentation, engine, propeller, avionics, lighting, paint, and the endless task of finding specialized items needed for completion? Obviously this is all part of the aircraft and is mostly all factory built items so
 in theory they subtract from the 51% rule.  I’m sure not going to make my own wire or radios!

I appreciate the opportunity to submit comments on this proposed policy change.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

 James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying