REFLECTOR: Lord Mounts

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 19:13:36 CDT 2008

Thanks again to everyone for this 2nd round of great additional info.  Dave,
I appreciate your long note.and Steve all the pic's and details.   I have
read thru AC 43-13 several times, but it never hurts to be reminded.  The
reason I asked about the torque value is it looks like a metal self locking
nut on there and I figured the distortion of the self lock feature would
change the tq  value over a castle which would have no built in resistance
to rotate.

Anyway here's the news.  I pulled the lower LH side aft biscuit off and
found the bolt was fine, but the bonded-in face washers on both faces was
distorted, which accounts for my .080 gap.   I have two sets of mounts
coming from Spruce.  I got the part numbers from Velocity.  They were out of
stock on this part.   It is a Barry Mount.  Barry is another manufacturer of
what is commonly called a Lord mount after the big well known maker.  Also
as a side note, the nut is a metal locking nut and on the Barry Mount it is
mechanically locked in place after it is torqued with small lift tabs that
keep the nut from any movement in either direction.

Steve thanks to your notes I will unload the mounts by holding the engine up
a little with a hoist before I torque the new parts.

Terry

  _____