REFLECTOR: Annual inspection

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Thu Sep 4 09:31:35 CDT 2008

Terry,

I believe that an auto compression checker works on a different
principle than the ones that we normally use for aircraft engines.  The
auto checkers I have seen usually plug into the spark plug hole and
measure the compression created by the compression stroke of the
piston.  The aircraft checker also plugs into the spark plug hole but
compression is provided by an air compressor.  There is a small orifice
which allows a little bit of air to escape but essentially you are using
a static pressure test to see how fast the cylinder will leak down when
the piston is at top dead center with both valves closed.  80 psi is the
nominal pressure used so all reading taken will be at 80 psi or lower
depending upon how well the piston rings and valves are sealing.

Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG
N83DP