REFLECTOR: Web alert Velocity web page changed

Tony Babb tonybabb at alejandra.net
Tue Sep 2 22:52:48 CDT 2008

Here's the section on crosswind landings from the Standard Elite FG manual

16.2.8 - Crosswind Landings
In a crosswind landing, it is best to crab the aircraft down on final, and
just before touchdown,
use a little rudder input while in ground effect to straighten things out.
It is all right
to land the Velocity in a slight crab, as the aircraft will immediately
straighten out once
contact is made with the ground.
I feel quite comfortable in crosswinds in the 15-25 knot range, and have
landed in crosswinds
exceeding 30 knots. I do not slip or cross-control the aircraft. Velocities
do not
have as much side area as most conventional airplanes. You will pick up as
much speed in
a slip in a Velocity as you will pushing the airplane over in a dive that is
of the same pitch
attitude. We do not recommend slipping as a crosswind or descent procedure
in the
Velocity, it could turn into a potentially dangerous situation.
First, there is the possibility of stalling a winglet which could result in
a departure. Secondly,
when slipping an aircraft with swept wings, the wing opposite the direction
that the
aircraft is being slipped, or the forward rear wing, is more perpendicular
to the relative
wind. This gives the leading wing more leverage and lift than the trailing
wing, thus allowing
the possibility that the aircraft could be forced into a stall during
exaggerated cross-control
and slow flight. Thirdly, with the majority of the fuselage being forward of
the wings, there
is a chance that the fuselage could blank out the wind to the trailing wing.
If you insist on slipping or cross-controlling your Velocity, do it at a
safe altitude. The best
advice is do not do cross-controls or slips in a Velocity. Other than this,
flying the Velocity
is very conventional.

Tony