REFLECTOR: Nose gear doors don't close

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:57:19 CDT 2008

To All Retractable Velocity owners. This week while doing my annual
inspection,
I noticed that my nose gear was not retracting fully into the wheel well.
The doors
also would not close.

I had flown the plane two days earlier and had made two landings without any

problems, so this was a big mystery. Why would it work on take off and
landing
but not on the jack stand.

On the forth try cycling the gear, I noticed that the base of the Hydraulic
Cylinder
where it mounts between the brackets on the floor, was moving for and aft
around
a 1/4 inch. (on the velocity site under construction manual, SE-RG see
Page7.2.1
ANGLE BRACKET).

Removing the brackets through the service hole in the keel, reveled that the
bolt hole had elongated. This was enough to prevent the arm from hitting
the sequence valve that activate the nose gear door cylinder.

Fearing the same on the rear gear cylinder bracket, I decided to check,
sure enough, the bolt was also showing signs of elongating. (Page 7.39)

After duplicating both aluminum brackets out of 1/8 STEEL ANGLE IRON,
and reinstalling both cylinders and a new gas spring, all systems now work
perfectly.

In retrospect, I believe that both cross bolts may not have been tightened
snugly
against the pivot ball. or the thin aluminum bracket compressed and play
developed, which caused the elongation. or the brackets are just not up to
the task. Anyway, I now feel safer with the steel brackets. At your next
Annual
please check yours.

--
Mike W.