REFLECTOR: Nose gear doors don't close

PUSHERPILOT at wmconnect.com PUSHERPILOT at wmconnect.com
Sat Oct 25 12:35:47 CDT 2008

While doing a pre-buy inspection on my Velocity STD RG I found that the nose
gear doors are not closing.  When I lift the gear leg by hand just a fraction
of an inch the doors close.  The gear had been tested several times a month
before during the annual condition inspection.  The airplane had not been flown
since.

What happened in between?  The gear leg is not coming up as far or the
sequence valve changed it's adjustment, or ??  After the doors close the gear leg
seems to be in the same position it always was, slightly rubbing on the doors.
My sequence valve is the old style on the floor in back.  I unbolted the
forward connection on the shock/spring and reached in to adjust the sequence valve.
 The only way that I could hold the valve plunger was with a hemostat, and I
turned the adjustment screw one half turn.  When I put it all back together
the doors still didn't close.  Perhaps the hemostat allowed the plunger to turn.

The airplane has 120 hours.  The hydraulic fluid level is OK.  I tried
increasing the pressure with the two adjusting screws and that didn't help.  Al
Gietzen, didn't we find that those screws didn't do anything way back when....

Any suggestions?

Mel Bina
N14B STD RG