REFLECTOR: Visit to EAA Chapt 1

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Oct 19 12:28:45 CDT 2008

I went to the EAA Chapter 1 ‘Design Group’ meeting at the historic ‘Flabob’
Airport yesterday, where I had been invited to give a presentation on my
Velocity and the rotary engine installation.  It was a beautiful clear day
here in So Cal, and the air was smooth for the ½ hr flight over from Ramona.

They normally have 10 – 15 people show up for these meetings, and we rolled
the airplane into the hangar and took off the engine cowls.  The airplane
itself was going to be the ‘visual aids’. There were about 10 people there,
and just as I got up to make some introductory remarks, a bunch of college
age kids were coming in the door.  It was the members of an engineering club
from UC Riverside, come to learn something about airplanes.  Suddenly I had
an audience of about 60. Now we had the get the microphone and get a little
more formal.

I gave an overview of the airplane and explained the various systems of the
engine installation, and then stood aside and answered questions as people
milled around the plane.  It was a good meeting.

There was also a ‘Starduster’ convention at the airport, all the beautiful
biplanes were lined up along the taxiway, and a lot of people were walking
around. Many came wandering in, so the discussion continued for about 2
hours.  Later as I rolled out for takeoff, a crowd gathered, and there were
more questions. Of course the taxi and takeoff had a sizable audience.

Lot’s of folks heard about Velocity aircraft and the rotary engine
yesterday.

Al

P.S. Unfortunately, as things stand right now, I will not be able to make it
over to the Copper State Flyin.