REFLECTOR: Take Off Shimmy

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 08:25:14 CDT 2008

If it helps your strain of consciousness, think of the wheel and tire
assembly as a gyroscope.  Mayve see if you can increase it or decrease
shimmy based on turns after takeoff while the wheel still has higher rpm.
Just like a toy gyroscope in your hands: Tip it one way and it wants to
rotate 90 degrees in the opposite plane.  When the USAF C-5 first got into
the field the main trucks had something like 26 relatively small tires and
the gyroscopic action was causing mayhem.   The gear retraction was an
arcing movement (forward and inboard) from full down to full up with no
wheel speed snubbers.  The crews were required to leave the gear down for
the 1st 15 mins of flight.  Just thought I'd toss this into the mix.  Good
luck with it.

Terry

  _____