REFLECTOR: Split Kit to Australia

Bob Hassel bob at hassel-usa.com
Mon Oct 13 20:26:45 CDT 2008

I've been a lurker on this list literally for years.  I fell in love with
Mike Pollock's Velocity in 2001(?).  Somehow my penny jar gets emptied with
life's other demands.  I've started an RV9 (emp kit), a Cozy Mk IV and quit
on each because I know what I really want to fly is the Velocity.

The split kit is great and the Velocity Company is correct that one of the
really good things about the RV series is the ability to basically fund the
plane yourself in 5k chunks (now a little over 6k chunks - not counting the
RV10).  Of course the RV's do have the engine on backwards...

The 5k chunks was the one of the main reasons I started the RV9.  The other
was the handling characteristics were closer to the Velo than any other
model of RV.  I don't regret it since it gave me metal working experience
which I've never done before.  The Cozy gave me composite experience.

Not counting tools I probably have around $2000 total in both of those
projects.  That's much less to try things out than I was able to get into
the Velo kit for - at least until the split kit.

Now I just need to figure out which model I want and start shaking the penny
jar loose for the winglets.  I'll probably try and get down to Mecca after
the first of the year to sit in both models and make that major decision.
Work requirements really limit my time before then.

I'll probably end up getting a QB fuse but doing the wings and canard is
exciting.  I wasn't even going to order the kit for another two years but
now I should be able to get started much earlier.

10 thumbs (as I've learned with past building experiences) up for the split
kit idea!

Bob Hassel
Santa Fe, NM