REFLECTOR: Latest on starter problem

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 9 15:49:07 CDT 2008

Today we went up to the airport and tried a direct connection to the starter, as I have suspected the starter all along. First we used my Power Sonic with direct connections to the starter, thus eliminating all of the wire and the two solenoids. Results: No difference. We then tried with two batteries  and the results were the same. The voltage at the batteries was 12.8 before cranking, 11.4 when it started cranking but when the prop came to the compression stroke it would stall and voltage dropped to about 6 volts. This told me it was starter. I called Sky Tec and talked to Rich. I told him about our latest test and he, once again said he thought it was battery. Having three new batteries act the same seemed to me that we could rule out battery. Then I said "look I just got this starter back from you when you put on a new housing. I assume that it is checked before you send it back?"  He said "just a minute let me check the results of the test." He came back in two minutes and said "I am sending you out a new starter today. The test results on the starter showed it to be 33% below the standard for horse power." It should never have been sent back to me in that condition. He didn't know how it was missed but wanted to correct the situation. THAT IS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. So it looks like it was the starter after all.

Thanks to all of those who took the time to responded. This group is so great for helping out.

Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY