REFLECTOR: Fw: IO-550 Fuel Flow Issues and running LOP

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Oct 8 17:09:13 CDT 2008

Sid Knox wrote:

Sid,

Very interesting.  I have been thinking that 100 octane is overkill for my Franklin
engine, especailly with dual ignition which helps reduce detonation.  I just wasn't
sure how to go about determining how low an octane is acceptable.  My engine always
runs cool so it seems like a good candidate for lower octane.  What is the compression
of your engine?

>   And I burn mostly (GASP!!) auto fuel in
> a high-compression engine.  How can I get away with this?  By paying
> attention to what my engine tells me via the instrumentation.  Once at
> altitude I set about 2250 rpm, about 22 in Hg MAP, and set fuel flow to
> about 6.5 gph.  This figures to about 26 mpg (statute)... better than many
> autos.

What about for take-off?

> The auto fuel (NO ethanol!) keeps the cylinders and spark plugs clean.

What about the lead deposits for the valves?  How many hours have you been running
this way?

John