REFLECTOR: starter trouble

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Wed Oct 8 16:28:48 CDT 2008

Lou,

Instead of using your meter to read voltage as referenced to ground,
start checking voltage drops on the various components.  From the
numbers you quoted, there probably is not an appreciable drop across
either of the solenoids.  But, you could check it by simply placing your
meter across the solenoid while trying to start the engine.  If you
fashion some sort of extension wire for your meter, you can read the
voltage drop across any of the wires including the one that connects the
output of your starter solenoid to the starter and the one that connects
your battery ground to the engine. As was brought out before, there are
very few cases where the voltage drop should exceed a volt.

You definitely have an excessive voltage drop on the order of 4 volts in
there somewhere.  For starters (no pun intended), it sounds like you
have about a 2 volt drop between the +batt and the input side of the
master relay (assuming that your "voltage from power in of master" was
referenced to battery ground). You should have very little there since,
assuming your battery and master solenoid are in the nose like most
everyone else's, the cable is very short...should be more on the order
of less than .1 volts.

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG