REFLECTOR: starter trouble

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 8 14:01:25 CDT 2008

Well I finally ran all of the tests on my starting system to find out why my started is having so much trouble turning over this engine. As I discussed before, I have a IO-360 on my VEL. My starter is a SkyTec LS. When I hold my key to start the starter will begin to turn , then hesitate and I let off on the key. Eventfully it will turn over. When it does it spins the prop fine and the engine starts at once. I downloaded the troubleshooting guide that SkyTec has and I wanted to share my findings. All of the voltage readings are taken when the started begins to loge down.

1.Voltage from plus and minus posts of battery while in failure mode           9.9 volts
2. voltage from ground on engine and + post of starter                                     5.9 volts
3. voltage from power in of master solenoid                                                      8.0 volts
voltage from out side of master solenoid                                                       8.0 volts
voltage from power in of starter solenoid                                                       8.0 volts
Voltage from power out side of starter solenoid                                           8.0 volts
4. Voltage from minus side of battery to engine block                                  0.6 volts
5. Voltage at battery before starter engage                                                   13.2 volts

Things I have tied:

Removed and cleaned all connections.                           Results: 0
Replaced my existing battery (Interstate 462 C.A.)
Installed new Power Sonic Battery PS12400 (40AH, 435 C.A.) Results: 0
Starter was returned to SkyTec for new housing and check.       Results: OK

My next step is to replace all of my connections with new copper connectors and solder them on.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY