REFLECTOR: (no subject)

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Oct 2 18:40:18 CDT 2008

Elevator spring strength. Can you put more ply's on the spring to help with
trimming  the nose down. If so how many ply's? Would that be uni, bid. Would
the plys be on the inside or outside of the springs?

Thanks
Barry

Barry;

FWIW; maybe the question is 'why don't you have enough down trim?'  My
criteria on the spring was that you had to be able to get nearly full
elevator when the trim motor was run to the full extent in the opposite
direction.  This being a safety factor in the case where the motor runs to
its limit for unknown reasons.  I now recall two incidents reported over the
recent years where this did occur.

So that meant for me that I had to trim (as in cut) the trim spring narrower
- down to I guess about 2" width on my SE.

When I first began flying, I found that at the high speed end I didn't have
enough nose down trim.  I also found that the stall speed was too high.  The
conclusion was there was too much canard lift; and yeah, I had used the
factory incidence gauge on a WingCo canard - having not been told that the
WingCo canard needed  a bit less incidence. Reducing the canard incidence by
2 stir stick thickness under the leading edge of the incidence gauge solved
the nose down trim problem, and brought the stall speed down to about 70
Kts.

BTW; I think all small dimensions on these kits are measured in stir stick
thicknesses:-).

Best,

Al