REFLECTOR: Strake construction method?

Christopher Barber CBarber at texasattorney.net
Sun Nov 30 13:30:36 CST 2008

Of course you would prefer to have both wings on, but I built mine in a two car garage, so it is do-able.  I was just able to fit the plane in the space sitting sideway and I pretty much needed a shoe horn to make it fit with one wing on.  I now have a hangar and the process would have been better there, however, this was not an option at the time.

Get ready for a bunch of stooping to get to the various places as you must dip under the wing.  I did prefer this to the template method.  I felt more certain of my progress.

I have had to redo a lot of work on my strakes due to a failure of my Jeffco over the last several weeks. I completed  the last layups night before last so all I have to do to finish it up is micro to make it all pretty again..  While it was still a pain, it was easier in the hangar, but if you wait til all things are ideal, you will never get anything done.  My Jeffco failure was not due to doing one wing at a time.  Still not sure of the cause, but I did not use Jeffco this time.

BTW, anyone know anyone who would like to buy a new three gallon kit of new Jeffco tank sealant that I chose not to use....if picked up in Houston, no hazmat shipping fee <g>.

So, Don, get you bird in position and build on.

All the best,

Chris