REFLECTOR: Hooper has been found and a question about green foam

Phil Hooper phil at hdmnet.com
Sat Nov 29 18:49:34 CST 2008

Greetings to the Collective.  I’ve been away from the list so long that I’ve
probably been forgotten.  We have gone through some very challenging times
and I finally began building again about two weeks ago
feels great.

Been so busy, I’ve not followed Reflector.  I don’t blame some if my name
has been maligned for disappearing and not making the audio tapes available
of the Velocity Symposium sessions a few years ago.  If I’ve given the
impression that I don’t care, I understand.  Although I’ve not been on
Reflector, I did take a look long enough to learn about the loss of Mack and
Ronnie, who were both at the Symposium.  Very sad
both good men.

There were many other great people there.  A volunteer from the Symposium
kept the tapes for some time and returned them unable to help, after which
everything went crazy at my end.  Milt Mersky offered to make the files, but
I’m the only one who can figure out my notes.  My apologies to all who
wanted to hear the sessions again.

I have the equipment now to make the audio files from the Symposium, and the
software to cut them down in size.  I remember something about Torrent
servers if anyone knows how that works.  If you can mount them, I’ll place
them on our ftp server for your retrieval.  I’ll start making the files
AFTER I return in three weeks from an international trip.  Hopefully in a
few months all the sessions can be made available on line with a directory.
But keep in mind that some things will have been changed, so the files will
be a snapshot of what was discussed at the Symposium, May 2006.

A QUESTION ABOUT FOAM:  I was a Spruce yesterday in Corona to buy a sheet of
½” foam.  My old sheet was tossed.  I need some small segments to fill the
voids around the cut out in the nose for the oil cooler air outlet on the
floor.  As others before me, I cut it larger than needed.  All they had was
green foam which the catalog says works fine in resisting fuel.  It doesn’t
seem as tough as blue foam and the air spaces are much smaller.  The stuff
gives off green dust when you handle it, and seems a little flimsy.  But I’m
assuming it will work fine for the nose, as it is just before the front
bulkhead and strength isn’t that critical.  CAN I USE IT FOR THIS PURPOSE?

I still have some large blue foam blocks from the factory.  As an
alternative I’m thinking of just cutting out and shaping some small sections
of that for the voids and forgetting the green foam.

OPINIONS ARE MOST WELCOME, AND FORGIVE MY VERY LONG ABSENCE FROM REFLECTOR
AND DELAY ON THE AUDIO FILES.

Blessings and best wishes to all.

Phil Hooper