REFLECTOR: Vacuum Pump

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Nov 26 13:19:51 CST 2008

What I'm about to say does not provide any help to the original poster's
request.

I have an opinion about an electric over pneumatic solution to the gyro
requirements.  This, in my opinion is the worst of both worlds.  First,
it offers no redundancy, and second, it actually increases the rate of
failures.

We have a split gyro system mainly for the reason that if the vacuum
goes bad, then the electric gyros would be there to compensate and vice
versa.  With electric/pneumatic, there is no redundancy.  If electric
fails, the gyro fails.  If pump, regulator or hose fails, the gyro
fails.  There is a long string of components in that installation that
are critical, and their odds are additive.

Off the cuff here ... and I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I
did the analysis.  Assume three components to make a system.  Each
component fails once per 100 hours.  System failure per 100 hours is
.01+.01+.01, which is one system failure per 33 hours.  Now lets take
that same system and make a redundant system just like it:
.03*.03=.0009: one total system failure every 1111 hours.  Of course
you'll be replacing broken components at the rate of once per 16 hours.

I already had a bias towards electrical, but I did a cost analysis
anyway.  The cost of electric gyros vs a conventional configuration was
less than $500.  I seem to recall it was more like a $300 difference.
If one goes all electric, you don't need the pump, hoses or regulator.
Additionally, if you factor in the cost per hour for the life of the
pump, the electrics will pay for themselves after a couple of years.

To answer the redundancy question, I have done a probability analysis of
a multi-battery system with a single alternator.  The odds of a failure
given a very pessimistic view of battery life at 300 flight hours
results in a failure rate that is well beyond even the lifetimes of our
engines; ie., you will have an engine failure (statistically) before a
total electric failure.  This to me is an acceptable risk; otherwise the
naysayers are throwing about a bunch of red herring.