REFLECTOR: nose gear air seal

Chuck c.harbert1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 25 19:03:01 CST 2008

Some time ago, someone posted that they put a boot on the retract nose gear leg and anchored it to the slot opening that the nose gear strut moves through.  Apparently quite effective.

I used a piece of of a rubber tire intertube that I fit over the the nose gear leg thru a hole I cut in it. It is positioned just aft of the front bulkhead. I anchored the the rubber using 4 aluminum strips that I pop rivited to the keel walls. It's air tight and has been working well for 10 yrs.

I also put in a 1/4" plywood board in the turtledeck area to seal the upper area. No air leaks into the cabin. I also put a vent into the nose gear area so it stays cool which also helps take heat out of the front cooler and keeps everything up there from getting too hot.

If you want pics, I think I could find some if I look.

Chuck H