REFLECTOR: Wing-root cooler re-visited

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 18:02:43 CST 2008

Hello Al,

Just saying thanks for all the testing you did on the wing root air scoops
for your Mazda powered V. Thought I'd show you my new inlet scoops inspired
by your testing. They are sculpted out of blue foam and covered with 2 bid.
Based on design calculations from Malcolm Collier (Hangar 18) I created a
1/2" boundary layer bleed. The inlets resemble the mouth of a whale shark
(14" wide X 2 1/4" height) but I'd rather er on the side of excess given the
amount of heat generated on takeoff by a 400 HP Chevy. Took a full week to
finish my scoops and I don't have the patience to do this job over again.
Hopefully by combining two well ventilated wing root radiators with a heater
core (third radiator) in the nose I may now have enough cooling capacity -
especially following your lead of scooping the air more aggressively. I'm
planning on upholstery in January and test flight as soon as possible
thereafter with the hope of beating the summer heat.

All the best,
Dennis