REFLECTOR: Bad Insurance News

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 23 06:41:24 CST 2008

Nobody would insure me either, Bill, for the first 10 hours or whatever it
was.  Also, if you have the RG, and no retract time, don't do what I did and
land gear up on the 4th flight or so.  I was deep into testing, observing a
half a dozen things and finding power settings and sink rates you name.  My
routine was slight disturbed by a traffic pattern conflict--and I forgot the
gear.

I too went thru the Velo flight school.  Unless they changed it, I trained
in an FG with a gear control panel in the panel.  That gets you maybe used
to looking at the gear toggle sw, but it doesn't provide any seat of the
pants feel for gear actuation.  Also my gear warning was only the factory
setup and it was not fed into the intercom system.

After I recovered my ego and the bottom skin of the airplane I put in a
voice activated gear warning system that works off airspeed.  I see it now
as one of the most important "day in and day out" safety features on the
airplane.

Terry