REFLECTOR: MT Prop failure mode? - Resolved

Bernard Despins bdespins at telusplanet.net
Wed Nov 19 08:42:18 CST 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had another look at the nut/jam nut with safety wire at the prop hub
used to set the low pitch stop.

Although securely safety tied, both nuts had backed off together.  Very
dangerous, since this must of occurred during in a single 20 minute run
of the engine.  It went from 300 hp on the previous run to 30 hp.  Even
with the safety wire in place, both nuts could be easily turned together.

I guess this stresses the importance of jamming the two nuts very
securely and safety tying very tight.  Maybe I'm missing something, but
in my opinion, it is not a very good way of securing such an important
fastener.

Bernard Despins