REFLECTOR: MT Prop failure mode.

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 11:38:47 CST 2008

Berand, I have run into this problem before.  With the MT props the low
pitch stop needs to be adjusted sometimes and it can get out of position if
the two jam nuts on the low pitch stop is not locked together correctly.  I
have found three MT props not correct right out of the box.  Most don't come
safetied, because it needs to be adjusted in most cases. Lock the two nuts
together and safety them together to keep them that way.  Use .040 wire.
They move every time you change pitch.

Once I found one where the safety wire for the two nuts was secured to one
of the fwd plate hold down bolts, so doing made the nuts so they couldn't
move with the shaft like they should during pitch change.  They must be able
to move fwd and aft during pitch change.  This also caused the nuts while in
the high pitch positions to move further forward and changed stop to a
greater pitch and eventually couldn't get it to come up to even governor
control speed.

Right now it looks like to me the stop is not adjusted correctly and you may
have to add some more bite into the low pitch position.  To do this, just
brake the two nuts apart and rotate the inner one towards the cover plate. I
have found that if you have five threads showing after the jam nut is tight
to the inner nut, it's just about right. It may take another flat on the
inner nut to get it just right but you can't tell this till you are
unloading it as you start you take off roll.  Then you may have to move it
just a flat or two more for good take off performance. This comes into play
when you do your first high speed taxi test.

If you are getting the 2700rpm then the governor is working great and it's a
stop issue.  If the inner plug in the inside of the crank is not plugged you
couldn't get your governor to work and maintain the 2700rpm.  This don't
seem to be your problem. If you can change pitch at all then the governor is
working.  Let me know how it turns out.
Dave