REFLECTOR: Franklin Alternator

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 14:13:56 CST 2008

Mike. I'm not familiar with the Franklin, so this may not apply. On both my old C-150 with a generator, and my current Cherokee 235 the charging device was sub par for the task. I had a local guy rebuild them and supe them up. He turned my 15Amp generator for the 150 into 35 Amps. He also supped up my 35A alternator to a 55A.

Now both of these units were based on automotive applications. The Cessna generators were built by Delco and the Piper one by Chrysler. Of course they were aircraft application units.

Check around, It may be easier to upgrade what you have versus starting over. Cheaper too.

I remember seeing a place on line that would sell you all new guts for specific alternators. You just swap out the parts and supe it up.

Best,? Kurt Winker