REFLECTOR: Tiny Tach

Vance Atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Thu May 29 05:49:40 CDT 2008

> Has anyone used Design Technology, Inc.'s Tiny Tach on a Lycoming.
> They are listed in Wicks. TTR-4C for a 4-stroke with points. Will
> that work on our motors? Thanks,
> Mitch Hargin
> ERacer 95% done

Yes they work fabulous...They are light wt. (oz or two)... ez to read
and no power or ground wires reqd  when installing.  I love mine and
even incorporated it into my new EFIS panel.

I have one  and wrote an article about it in central states about a year
and a half ago or so.  However, you need to call the factory and have
the ign cable lengthened to 12 to 14 feet because the sending cable is
one piece and its integral to the unit.  It gets is counting info from
one of your spark leads.  If you have regular mags you will have to find
a spark plug lead that is unshielded as TinyTach requires one of their
wires to be wrapped  around the lead about 5 to 7 times.

Rather than bolt the unit on the face of my panel. I carefully filed a
little more relief around the face edges ( there was some relief there
already but not enough)  and bingo!  rear mounted it and it looks very
professional.

One of the features it has,  is an hour meter function.  You can use it
for trips ( to see how long your last leg was) or you can let it
continue to run on each leg ( it only counts when the engine is running)
and at the end of the week or month or year, whatever length of time
your decide on, you can look at, and reset, the total hours.

 Also have them put a jack (male and female) in the line about 2 to 3 ft
from the unit as its internally powered and sealed, so in 5 to 7 years
it will be no good.  You will be able to order another one and just plug
it in. Each one of these options will cost 5 to 10 bucks each as I remember.

The unit I have counts from two electronic ignitions with a waste
spark.   They make lots of different units with LOTS of options, so be
sure to call them.  They even make them for diesels.
http://www.tinytach.com/  email me off line if you want a pic of the
installation.

Vance Atkinson
EAA Tech and Flt Advisor