REFLECTOR: fuel line fittings

Joe Ewen Jewen at comporium.net
Sun May 18 09:36:20 CDT 2008

Noel,

Sealant has been answered so I will not repeat.  On steel vs aluminum.  I
use the same fitting as the tubing type.  Alum fittings with alum tubing and
steel fittings with steel tubing.  From talking with A&Ps and internet
research it appears as though the fitting threads are the most vulnerable
when mixing material types.  In the presence of moisture galvanic action can
take place and erode the fitting's threads.  In my application the injector
fuel rails are steel and the tank supply lines are aluminum, so I used
fitting appropriate to the application.  To bridge the two groups I used SS
braided Teflon hose with appropriate (steel or alum) fittings on the hose
ends.  One of the few hoses I found that have both steel and alum fittings
available is Earls Speed Flex hose.  This allowed the use of steel on the
engine and aluminum for the supply side without risking galvanic corrosion.

Joe